Dislocated Worker Program (WA)
Depending on the type of job you had, or where you live, dislocated worker resources may vary. Review your options, apply for unemployment benefits and learn about services available for dislocated workers in WA. May provide job search assistance, financial assistance and/or free training to dislocated workers who meet at least one of these criteria:
 - You have been terminated, laid off, or received a "notice of termination or layoff" and are unlikely to return to your usual occupation or industry because of a permanent plant closure, a substantial layoff, foreign competition, lack of demand for your skills. (Some veterans will qualify)
 - You were self-employed, but the economy or a natural disaster has put you out of work
 - You are a displaced homemaker who is either unemployed or working a job that does not support your household. (Some people may qualify after a divorce) 
 - Transitioning military members and spouses 

Unemployment Compensation (Unemployment Insurance)
An employer-paid insurance program that helps workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own. It provides temporary financial help (compensation) to qualified individuals, based on their previous earnings, while they are looking for work. Eligibility varies by state. States have differing timelines on how long you must be unemployed before becoming eligible. You must meet all of the requirements below to receive benefits:
 - Your past wages - to establish a payable claim, you must have received enough wages to meet the requirements
 - Reason for separation from your last work - you must be unemployed or partially unemployed through no fault of your own to receive benefits. In some states (Washington is one), leaving a job to accompany your military spouse to a new location is a qualifying criteria.  It is best if you note this as the reason on your resignation form
 - Ongoing availability and work search requirements you must be able to work, available for work, and actively seeking work. Many states require that you be registered with a state employment agency, in addition to any other job search methods you choose to use. For Washington, you may register and learn more here

Application for Unemployment
Some states (WA is one) allow you to apply for Unemployment Compensation with the state where you now reside; others require you to file with the state/s in which you were employed. States have different rules on how long you must be unemployed before eligibility is determined. To determine the rules in the applicable state, and to register on-line or by phone, check with your state’s employment website

Taxes Due on Unemployment
A portion of the Unemployment Compensation benefits you receive may be taxable income, but may not taxed when you receive them. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires you to report your Unemployment Insurance benefits as income when you file your taxes; it is also reported directly to the IRS by the Unemployment Insurance office. In some states you may choose to have a portion of your benefits payment withheld for your taxes. If you choose not to have your benefits taxed as you receive them, it would be a good idea to either set aside some of the money, in anticipation of paying taxes on it later, or to set aside money from your paycheck when you do become employed

Military Retirees
Rules will vary by state. Retirees may be eligible for unemployment compensation while waiting for retirement pay to start. Retirees should contact the Employment office of the state/s where they worked and/or reside  


Federal endorsement not intended. The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Air Force or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and morale, welfare and recreation sites, the U.S. Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links provided are consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD website.