Air Force Aid Society

Air Force Aid Society/ Other Relief Societies:
Each branch of the Uniformed Services has a private organization which is considered the official charity of that branch, providing emergency relief to service members and retirees (and their families or widows), usually as an interest-free loan. Financial assistance may be provided when a qualifying individual cannot otherwise pay for specific basic needs essential to continued personal effectiveness as a military member - for emergency situations including emergency travel, vehicle payment/insurance/repair, food, shelter, utilities. Other financial situations may be approved for financial assistance - please ask! 

The military relief societies provide assistance through the Fairchild AFB A&FRC; all applicants will complete the Air Force Aid Society (AFAS) application, present ID card and other documentation if required. When the military sponsor is unable to apply, the family member will, ideally, have a Power of Attorney. Additionally, the Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund provides assistance to federal civilians.

Appointment preferred - please call 509-247-2246. After hours emergencies are handled through the American Red Cross, by agreement with the military relief societies - please call 1-877-272-7337

Online Application

Air Force Aid Society (AFAS)    Army Emergency Relief (AER)
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS)    Coast Guard Mutual Assistance

American Red Cross (for Armed Forces)

   Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund




More Emergency Financial Assistance for Service Members and Veterans:

Operation First Response - assists wounded, injured and critically ill servicemembers and veterans from all branches; apply online 

Spokane County Veterans Services - provides counseling and emergency financial aid to honorably discharged indigent veterans and their families for rent, utilities, food, gas, and limited prescription assistance; 509-477-3690 

Minuteman Emergency Assistance Fund - awards grants to members of the Washington National Guard and their families who find themselves in temporary financial need.

WA Dept of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Innovations Program  - works to provide assistance to veterans and their families facing financial hardships due to deployments in support of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; 800-562-2308 

Operation Homefront Washington - provides financial assistance to military families coping with deployment and injury recovery; apply online or call 1-877-264-3968

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) - the Unmet Needs program provides grants for unexpected financial difficulties as a result of deployment or other hardships directly related to military service; apply online

USACares - provides grants for basic needs and housing assistance for post-9/11 servicemembers, veterans and their families; apply online

More Emergency Financial Assistance, Not Military Specific:

Spokane Neighborhood Action Program (SNAP) - provides heating assistance, weatherization, food bank, money management, vehicle loan or repair, housing counseling, minor home repair; 509-456-7627

WA Dept of Social and Health Services (DSHS) - determines eligibility, provides information or assistance for many services - Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) or food stamps, Medicaid, medical help, developmental disabilities, mental health, adult and senior services, chemical dependency, child and foster care, and much more; apply online or call 877-501-2233

Salvation Army - rental assistance, transitional family housing, and warming shelter (below 15 degrees), food bank, and many other services; 509-325-6810 

Goodwill - provides many services, including programs for individuals who: are homeless, incarcerated veterans, disabled, unemployed (help with transportation, clothing, skills training and certifications - 462-0510), need help managing monthly finances, and pre-employment and job placement services for adults aged 18-64 who receive Social Security Insurance (SSI) and/or Social Security Disability Insurance; 509-838-4246

Catholic Charities - provides food, shelter, clothing, education, counseling and support to those in need, regardless of creed; 509-358-4250

Volunteers of America - provides assistance with rent, utilities, bus passes and personal hygiene items, as well as transitional housing; call 509-624-2378

2-1-1 - dial this number to speak to someone about locating community resources for nearly any need; also at 509-838-4428

Spokane Area Resource List - for variety of needs


Federal endorsement not intended.  The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Air Force or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and morale, welfare and recreation sites, the U.S. Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links provided are consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD website.