Making Home Affordable
A catalyst for the mortgage industry to provide more affordable and sustainable assistance to struggling homeowners to prevent avoidable foreclosures. Servicemembers who cite a PCS order as the basis for their financial hardship may be eligible for programs, even is posted eligibility criteria are not otherwise met.
Consumer Fraud Alert
Homeowners struggling to make their mortgage payments should beware of con artists and scams that promise to save their homes and lower their mortgage debt or payments. If you are struggling to pay your mortgage and are seeking a mortgage modification, keep the following tips in mind:
- You can apply to the federal Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) on your own or with free help from a housing counselor approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Applying to the program is always free. For more information on how to apply, call the Homeowner’s HOPE™ Hotline at 888-995-4673 or visit http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/
- Only your mortgage servicer has discretion to grant a loan modification. Therefore, no third party can guarantee or pre-approve your HAMP mortgage modification application
- Beware of anyone seeking to charge you in advance for mortgage modification services – in most cases, charging fees in advance for a mortgage modification is illegal
- Paying a third party to assist with your HAMP application does not improve your likelihood of receiving a mortgage modification. Accordingly, beware of individuals or companies that ask you for payment and tout success rates or claim to be “experts” in HAMP
- If an individual or company claims to be affiliated with HAMP or displays a seal or logo representing the U.S. government in correspondence or on the Web, you should check the connection by calling the Homeowner’s HOPE™ Hotline
- Beware of individuals or companies that offer money-back guarantees
- Beware of individuals or companies that advise you as a homeowner to stop making your mortgage payments or to not contact your mortgage servicer
Federal endorsement not intended. The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Air Force or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and morale, welfare and recreation sites, the U.S. Air Force does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links provided are consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD website.